Tuesday, September 30, 2008

PDA VI - Day 2

Community... Presbyterians talk about it all the time.

I love the connectivity of the PC(USA). I have friends all across the country and in other countries thanks to this amazing body of faith. Still, where we pride ourselves is often where we have the longest way left to go.

This week five churches from one Presbytery have come together, in the spirit of Christ's love, to make a difference. We're interacting in ways that make our back-home interaction look pretty lame. In other words, we're interacting.

My hope is that these five churches work to share the good news of PDA, the good news of hard work, and the good news of coming together. Through the sharing and living of that good news, good shall come.

A few things I learned or relearned today...

- I am a beast at driving a 15 passenger bus.
- There is a lot of work still to go here.
- As churches, we must step out of our comfort zones and connect in ways we're currently too stubborn, ignorant, or fearful to do.
- Chaos is undeniable. But so is the love of God cutting through that chaos like light through any shadow.
- The "smarter than a 5th grader" board game can put you in your place....

2 comments:

Allen said...

Pedro, my thoughts are with you, the people you are working with, the people you are working for and the spirit that brings you all together.
Here's a quote for you (of which you may be very familiar)...

"If you have come to help me
You are wasting your time.
But if you have come because your liberation is
bound up in mine, then let us work together."

And a few verses from Isaiah to check out... 58: 6-12

Peace!

Chris said...

Thanks Hellenator! The week was incredibly prophetic and profound. I'll fill you in on the details later.

Yes, that is a great quote I have heard before but hadn't thought about in quite a while. It cuts into the goals of "salvation" mission and lifts up servanthood mission. Very deep. I might have to weave it into my sermon in a couple weeks.