Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Leroi Moore (1961-2008)



Last night Leroi Moore passed away. Leroi was saxophonist for the Dave Matthews Band. He was so much more as well… arranger, composer, director, cool hand on stage.

As a fan I love the calm presence he brought on stage with his laid-back demeanor and trademark sunglasses. He defined “cool”. I love the additions he brought to so many of my favorite songs. He made them. As a musician I love his complex, off-the-cuff melodic solos. They could melt your face one second and bring you to tears the next. I love the depth he brought to the band. As a lover of the sax, I love his amazing tone. Damn that tone... cool and warm at the same time. Simultaneously smooth and blistering.

They say the show must go on, and last night it did in Los Angeles, a great tribute to a great player.

Music is an indescribably important part of my life. It's a healer, a love, a friend. Some of the best moments in my life of simply experiencing music have come at Dave Matthews Band shows, and Roi provided far too many highlights to count. For the gift that Roi shared with the world, a large part of my world, I'll forever be thankful. And thankfully the music lives on.

Edit (8/21/08): Edited the picture...

No comments: