Thursday, December 08, 2005

Things keeping me from posting....

I haven’t posted anything in a while, so here’s a lame and generic list of things I’m enjoying right now…

Wilco – Kicking Television – Ok, I saw Wilco a couple times at 96 Wavefest back in the mid-90’s. I remember nothing about the performances. What I do know is that their recently released 2-disc live album is nothing short of incredible. Surprisingly the genius of their recent studio albums works in a live setting.

Free gym at Eastminster Presbyterian –As Ron Burgundy says, “The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show.” Free gym = free muscles. 2 weeks and I'm already seeing results.

Sufjan Stevens – Say Yes! To Michigan – The first Sufjan album I ‘discovered’ online (aka illegally downloaded) about a year and half ago. If you like laid-back, acoustic-driven indie music without the pretentiousness (a rarity!) and with intelligence… Sufjan’s your man.

Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks – Trendy? Yes. Masculine? No. Do I care? Not really. These things are like drinking heaven out of a recycled cup. So good it almost makes me forget that I’m exploiting third world farmers every time I waste, err spend, $4 on one.

Bob Marley & the Wailers – Live at the Roxy – 23-minute Get Up, Stand Up / War / No More Trouble jam is worth the purchase itself. Definitely a good stocking stuffer for your dreadlocked loved ones.

Credo – William Sloan Coffin – Fascinating book of quotations from one of the world’s most renowned social activists and ministers. I haven’t gotten too far into this book (each quote takes some sinking in), but so far it’s been a very refreshing read. Great pick for the socially conscious Christian on your Christmas list.

Honorable Mentions:

NCAA March Madness ’06 for PS2
Tao Te Ching
Peace is Every Step – Thich Nhat Hanh
The Genesee Diary – Henri Nouwen
Sidney Rice TD's
John Coltrane – Live at the Village Vanguard (Master Takes)… if anyone wants to give me a Christmas gift you can pick up the boxset!
Steve Spurrier’s mystique

6 comments:

eric said...

henri is a good one.

i remember reading something by that guy. i believe he was mentally ill, right?

e+

dan said...

i could listen to bob marley all night.

Chris said...

Eric,

I'm pretty sure Henri wasn't mentally ill.

He did leave his job as a professor to work as a chaplain of sorts with mentally ill and handicapped people, though. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Dan,

I'm the same way. I've listened to that Marley album almost every day for the past 3 weeks. Most people think my favorite band is the Dave Matthews Band since I play DMB stuff on guitar a good bit, but Marley has always stood out to me. He'd definitely make my '20th century prophets' list.

dan said...

the best thing about amrley, is the legacy he left.

everybody is on about this dave matthews bloke. not heard much of him over here. will have to check him out.

have you ever noticed that in the book of acts, the narrative switches between 1st and 3rd person? maybe it's just me not reading it right

Chris said...

dan,

To be honest I haven't really studied or read much of Acts since a new testament class in college and don't recall the narrative structure. I'll see what I can dig up.

imo, marley did more for music than he'll every get credit for. "Bob Marley: Lyrical Genius" by Kwame Dawes, looks like it'd be a great read.

my only suggestion on DMB would be to check out something older to start (under the table and dreaming, crash, before these crowded streets). you can search them pretty easily on http://www.allmusic.com

eric said...

i would suggest the live double disc at luther college for dmb, myself.

that kwame dawes ... i talk to him every now and then for articles i do on lit-based stuff. cool guy there at usc.

e+